Make The Move

Spring Term Begins in April

Personal attention is the name of the game. If you are ready to make the move and transfer to Kettering University, apply now!

Make the Move - We Have Scholarships For You!

If you apply and are accepted you will be considered for a merit scholarship of up to $9500. What’s stopping you?

Apply for admission today!

Transfer Application


Admission to Kettering University is a selective process based on traditional academic criteria. Our admission process is a personal one.  We are interested in learning about your interests, talents and career goals! The initial phase in the admission process is an evaluation by Kettering of the candidate's application. Primary consideration is given to the applicant's overall grade point average and overall number of credit hours taken. A typical student should be taking 14 to 16 credit hours per semester of coursework similar to what is taken by a Kettering University student. Candidates who have not pursued full-time collegiate study and/or followed a program of studies that does not include extensive study of math and science will be evaluated individually on their high school and college records as well as their test scores.

Completing your application:

  • Submit an application
  • Send us official high school and college transcripts from all previously attended colleges/universities
  • Send your ACT or SAT scores (if you have completed less than 30 credit hours at another college or university)
  • Provide a list of courses in progress
  • Submit catalog(s) with course descriptions from each college attended

Suggested Coursework

We strongly recommend the equivalent of the following Kettering University courses. 

  • MATH101 Calculus I (Differential Calculus)
  • MATH102 Calculus II (Integral Calculus)
  • CHEM135 Principles of Chemistry (including lab)
  • CHEM145 Introductory Organic Chemistry (including lab)
  • PHYS114 Physics I: Newtonian Mechanics (including lab)
  • PHYS224 Physics II: Electromagnetism (including lab)
    (physics must be calculus based for engineering credit)
  • SSCI201 Introduction to Social Science
  • COMM101 Written & Oral Communication I (Composition and speech)
  • ECON201 Economics (Micro or Macro)
  • HUMN201 Introduction to Humanities
    History, Literature, Philosophy; etc. (must be taken at the 300 level or higher)

Courses taken for transfer credit must have a grade of C or better. To see what courses are equivalent to these Kettering courses, check out our Course Equivalency System.

Transfer Credits

Kettering University accepts a maximum of 72 credits completed prior to admission from accredited institutions. Once enrolled as a student at Kettering, a maximum of eight additional credit hours may be transferred. 

Accredited Coursework

Only those credits earned at institutions accredited by one of the regional accrediting agencies will be considered for transfer. Regional accreditation does not automatically result in transferability of coursework. The various colleges and/or departments of the University determine individual course equivalency and transferability. When the coursework has been completed at an institution outside of the United States, the institution must be officially recognized by the Ministry of Education of that country as a degree-granting institution.

Tests for Credit

Kettering University will evaluate Advanced Placement scores for transfer credit. Please note: Kettering University does not accept CLEP credit. View a chart which details all the credits offered for AP & IBO courses.

Military Credit

Only credit earned at institutions accredited by one of the regional accrediting agencies will be considered for transfer.

College Courses taken prior to high school graduation (Dual Enrollment)

Students may be eligible to transfer courses to Kettering University taken during high school at accredited colleges and universities. To be evaluated for transfer to Kettering University, these courses must appear on a college transcript and be taught by a college faculty member. See the online Course Equivalency System. Students must submit an official transcript from the institution where the coursework was taken. Please note: credit will not be given for credit earned for both an A.P. exam and a college course that cover the same material.

Grade Requirements

All courses in which a 2.0 GPA or higher were earned will be evaluated for transfer credit. Also, please note that for admissions purposes, students must maintain a "B" average in math, science, and English courses.

Courses That Do Not Transfer to Kettering University

There are some educational experiences they we do not accept for credit. Those experiences include coursework completed at institutions not accredited by a regional accreditation agency, remedial/developmental classes, technical/trade classes, life experience, courses in areas of study not offered at Kettering University, non-traditional coursework completed at two-year institutions (including independent study, directed study, seminars, workshops, or internships) and CLEP.

Michigan Transfer Agreement

Do you have the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) designation on your community college transcripts? If so, all of your General Education requirements are waived (with the exception of LS 201 and LS 489). You can find the curriculum which lists all of your major requirements (including general education) for your major by choosing your major under our Programs & Degrees and then clicking on Curriculum. 

Program & Degrees >

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Kettering University's  Course Equivalency System can help you determine how classes from your college or university will transfer. You should request an official copy of all college transcripts and academic catalogs be sent to the Admissions Office.

Within four weeks of receiving your admissions letter, you will receive a letter from the Registrar's Office regarding your transfer credit evaluation. Courses "In Progress" that include a grade, will be evaluated if listed on the transcript.  This evaluation is based on the transcripts provided at the time of application. 

Please request your transcript be sent as soon as possible after the end of your final term at your current college. Final recognition and posting of transfer courses on the transfer student's academic record follow receipt of an "official" transcript of coursework sent from the previous institution(s), the applicant's admission to the University, and signing of the transfer credit equivalency form during the student orientation program. Transfer credit evaluations completed prior to review of a final, official transcript with grades of "C" or better are tentative and are to be used for advising purposes only.

Within four weeks of your final transcript being received, you will receive an updated transfer credit evaluation.

Final official transcripts should be sent to:

Office of Admissions
Kettering University
1700 University Avenue
Flint, MI 48504-4898

To check on the status of your transcripts, contact the Office of Admissions at 1-800-955-4464, extension 7865. 

Already Have A Degree?

Students  with bachelor's degree already and wishing to complete a second bachelor's degree from Kettering University must provide the Office of Admissions with transcripts from every institution previously attended, including a degree-granting transcript.      

A student with a baccalaureate degree from another college must satisfy the minimum residency requirement as a full-time student in order to receive a baccalaureate degree from Kettering University. All course requirements of the degree program must be satisfied and the student must complete at least five work terms which include the two thesis terms. The student is required to complete a Kettering University senior thesis. The student's degree program must be approved by the head of the degree granting department.