Find A Home With Us

As a student from outside the United States, you are already thinking differently about your college education.

Why Kettering University?

“If engineering is your passion, then there aren’t many places in the world that will fulfill your desire like Kettering does. Its uniqueness lies not only in its co-op program that lets you experience real life engineering problems, but also the individual attention that each student gets as a result of the concentrated class structure.” ~ Abhishek Shah, Kanpur, India, Mechanical Engineering


Whether you are looking to come as a freshman or you would like to transfer to the university, we encourage you to use the checklist below to make sure we can begin reviewing your eligibility.

Provide proof of English proficiency by one of the following options:

1. Provide official scores from one of the following taken within the past 2 years:

  • minimum score of 79 on the web based TOEFL or 550 on the paper based
  • minimum score of 76 on the MELAB
  • minimum score of 6.0 on the IELTS
  • minimum 450 on the Verbal section of the SAT
  • minimum 18 on the English section of the ACT

2. Complete Level 112 via an approved ELS center

Chinese Translation

Transcript Evaluation

A WES (World Education Services) evaluation is required of all students who have studied outside of the United States. All transcripts from non-US educational institutions – high school as well as any post-secondary transcripts – must be sent directly to WES by the issuing institution. This is a requirement before admission can be granted. All information needed is found at

  • Students who have completed high school level only: select document-by-document evaluation ($100)
  • Students who have completed University-level coursework: select course-by-course evaluation ($160)

It is critical that you read and follow the "Required Documents" information specific to your country of study to ensure that your evaluation is completed as quickly as possible. If your transcripts and diplomas are not in English, you must provide a translation.

You will need to list Kettering University in Flint, Michigan, as a recipient of your WES evaluation.

Once all the required documentation has been received by WES, the evaluation usually takes 7 – 10 days.

2015-2016 Expense Estimate

Tuition and Fees for 2 Terms (Approx. 15 - 22 credits)$38,430
Health Insurance$972
Room and Board for 2 Terms$7,510
Books and Supplies for 2 Terms/Fees$1,100
Living Expenses$4,000
Total anticipated expenses for first academic year$52,012 USD

*Above figures are in U.S. dollars and are approximate, and subject to change at any time. 

Tuition and Fees: Undergraduate students must enroll for the amount of credit listed above to insure graduation within 4 1/2 years. The above estimates are calculated on the basis of this enrollment activity. *Please remember that tuition and fees are subject to change at any time.

Health Insurance: Kettering requires all international students to purchase the Kettering University Sickness and Accident Insurance plan, or provide proof of comparable coverage (in English), prior to arriving on campus. Dependents accompanying international students must also have health insurance coverage, which may be purchased through the University's plan.

Kettering's Sickness and Accident Insurance plan coverage becomes effective when students arrive on campus. International students may wish to purchase health insurance that provides coverage during travel to Kettering.

Contact the Kettering Wellness Center for further information. 
Telephone: 800-955-4464, ext. 9650. 

Room and Board: The amount indicated is the cost of single occupancy room for 2 academic terms in the university residence hall. This rate includes a 19 meal plan, 15 meals from Monday - Friday, and Brunch and Dinner on Saturday and Sunday. Meals are served in the adjacent Campus Center.

Living Expenses: The amount of funding needed for one year varies per student because of work term living expenses. Students work throughout the nation and the world. Typically the co-op earnings cover expenses during the work term and it is not anticipated that a student will need additional funds. However, the $3,500 assures that the student has a resource if additional funding is needed.

When planning your funds for enrollment, please consider that funds are needed for at least 4 - 5 years for the undergraduate program. Financial assistance is not readily available and the cost of attending Kettering University may increase from year to year.

Wiring Payment: For students who wish to wire money, please utilize peerTransfer. Got to to enter your details and submit payment. Please note that you must put your Student ID number on your payment. For questions, contact

Visa Information

All international students must obtain an F-1 visa in order to study in the United States. The F-1 visa regulations do not allow you to work off-campus in the United States until you have been on F-1 visa status for two academic terms.  However, if you have completed high school in the U.S., you are allowed to start your rotation without having to satisfy the two-academic-terms rule mentioned above.

For students already in the US who are attending high school or a college/university and who have received an official letter of acceptance to Kettering University stating you satisfied all requirements for admission, you must complete a Transfer of I-20 form for processing from Kettering University.