Kettering University’s social media platforms are intended to reinforce institutional messaging, values, and mission to a diverse audience. This includes promotion and sharing of information about the University’s programs, initiatives, events, and achievements by members of its community that includes students, faculty, staff, alumni, partners, and more.
This policy defines the rules and procedures for the use of official University social media sites to ensure that University-sponsored social media is both legal and in compliance with University policies.
All official University social media sites must adhere to state and federal laws and regulations, and University policies. Only public information may be posted on official University social media sites, and posting of sensitive personal information will not be permitted.
The University is committed to fostering an educational environment that allows for freedoms of speech and expression in accordance with the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. However, the University will not tolerate any activity or posting on an official University social media site that loses First Amendment protection such as any unlawful, defamatory, or obscene activity or posting.
Kettering University abides by Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, and community contributed content is the opinion of that user and not of Kettering University.
Kettering University reserves the right to block users or remove comments that are:
- Unrelated or inappropriate to the topic of the post or shared content
- Factually false, fraudulent, or libelous
- Compromise the safety or security of University community members, the public or public entities
- Contain obscene, threatening or harassing content or language
- Present an imminent threat
- Incite lawless, dangerous, or destructive action
- Include defamatory statements or personal attacks towards individuals, groups, or communities (including hate speech)
- Violate intellectual property rights
- Use University logos, trademarks, or other images without prior approval
- Do not comply with University social media platform purpose
- Promote a business/commercial transaction or political candidate
- Exposes private data of others
- Otherwise violates Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities
Kettering University reserves the right to remove any such posting or comment without notice. The University also reserves the right to refer social media activity to the applicable social media platform and/or appropriate authorities for appropriate action.