Records & Transcripts

Student Rights

In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, Kettering students have the right to review and challenge the accuracy of information kept in their cumulative files by the University unless the student waives this right in writing.

Student Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) ensures that each student's records cannot be released in non-emergency situations without the written consent of the student except in the following situations:

  • To Kettering school officials, who have legitimate educational interests (need to know);
  • To authorized representatives of the Comptroller General or Secretary of the United States, an administrative head of any educational agency, or state educational authorities; and/or
  • Where information is classified as "directory information." Directory information includes: name, telephone number, address, major field of study, dates of attendance, enrollment status, degrees and awards received, photo, e-mail address, corporate affiliation, and previous educational agency or institution attended.

Questions concerning this law, the FERPA Act, or Kettering University's policy regarding the release of student information, may be directed to the Kettering University Office of the Registrar.

Any student who believes his/her rights have been violated may file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education at:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue Southwest
Washington, DC 20202-4605
Phone: (202) 732-1807

The Office of the Registrar maintains the following records on current students:

  • Permanent academic record
  • Kettering University application and related correspondence and documents, excluding recommendation forms, for five (5) years after graduation or withdrawal, and
  • Graduate Academic Review Committee correspondence for five (5) years after graduation or withdrawal.


Students may obtain a copy of their academic record by mailing or faxing a written request (fax 810-762-9836) to the Office of the Registrar. Requests should include name, address, student ID number or Social Security number, dates of attendance, and graduation date. There is no charge for this service. No transcript will be released without written, signed authorization from the student. Transcripts may be withheld for failure to meet financial obligations to Kettering University.