Detailed graduation information is available on the Office of the Registrar website. This information includes important deadlines and eligibility requirements. Students should review this information carefully to ensure successful completion of the graduation process.
Kettering University awards degrees at the conclusion of each term; summer, fall, winter and spring.
Application to Graduate
Graduation is not automatic upon completion of requirements. All students are required to complete and submit an Application to Graduate to the Office of the Registrar.
Mailing Address and Email
It is the student’s responsibility to have a current mailing address on record in the Office of the Registrar and to regularly check their Kettering email. Important notifications and information are frequently sent via U.S. mail and email.
In order for an undergraduate degree to be awarded and verified by the Office of the Registrar, the following requirements must be satisfied:
Academic Course Requirements: Meet all specified course work, design credits, earned hours, and project requirements of the degree.
Cooperative Education Requirements:
- Students who complete their academic requirement in nine full-time terms or more must attain at least five satisfactory work evaluations at an authorized employer. Three of these five must occur after achieving Junior 1 status.
- Students who complete their academic requirements in eight full-time terms (minimum of 16 earned credit hours per term) must attain at least four satisfactory work evaluations at an authorized employer. Two of these four must occur after achieving Junior 1 status.
- Students transferring to Kettering University with 24 or more earned hours (sophomore status) must achieve at least four satisfactory work terms at an authorized employer (three after attaining junior status). The work experience terms must be earned while a Kettering University student.
- Students transferring to Kettering University with 56 or more earned hours (junior status), without a baccalaureate degree, must achieve at least three satisfactory work terms at an authorized employer. The work experience terms must be earned while a Kettering University student.
- Students transferring to Kettering University with a baccalaureate degree must achieve three satisfactory work terms at an authorized employer. The work experience terms must be earned while a Kettering University student.
CUE (Culminating Undergraduate Experience) Requirement: Satisfactorily complete a CUE project.
Academic Performance Requirements: Be in academic Good Standing and achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.
Residency Requirements: Complete a minimum of five full-time academic terms on the Kettering University Campus.
Diplomas and transcripts are withheld until the student has satisfied all financial obligations with the University.
Accelerated Pace to Graduate
It is possible to complete the academic portion of most Kettering degree programs in eight academic terms. Students who are interested in pursuing this possibility should contact their academic department to obtain an individualized accelerated plan and to determine if it is appropriate for them.
Final Degree Verification Letter
A final letter is sent to the student and his/her co-op employer when all requirements for graduation are met. Final letters will not be issued until all grades for the graduating term are submitted and posted to the student’s record.
Diplomas are mailed (to graduates who have completed all requirements) approximately 6-8 weeks after their graduation date. Diplomas are not considered official proof of graduation. For proof of graduation, students must request an official transcript. Diplomas and transcripts are withheld if the student has outstanding debt with the University.
Degree Completion for Inactive Students with Coursework Remaining
Inactive students who wish to return to Kettering University must contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance. After ensuring there are no outstanding financial obligations to the university, the Registrar will refer such students to the appropriate Academic Department Head or Discipline Chair to develop a plan of study. The final plan will be filed in the departmental office and in the student’s permanent file in the Registrar’s Office. These students will be subject to meeting the requirements for degrees in effect at the time of readmission.
Commencement is the formal ceremony which recognizes and celebrates graduates and graduation candidates. At Kettering University, commencement is held annually at the conclusion of the spring term. Refer to the published academic calendar for the date of commencement. For more information including eligibility requirements is available on the Office of the Registrar website.