Central Receiving & Support
Shipping Procedures for Personal Packages
We are delighted to ship personal packages via UPS, FedEx, and USPS for our staff, students, and faculty. By using this service, you may realize significant savings - typically 40% or more - over standard rates, because we can extend our volume pricing to you.
However, the expenses we incur in handling these personal packages, and preparing them for shipment are not budgeted, so we are implementing a modest convenience charge for each personal package shipped through our facility to help us maintain our ability to provide this service and to improve our offerings in the future. All convenience charges are retained by Central Receiving & Support, and will be used to improve our services to benefit you directly.
The convenience charge is assessed for personal packages according to the following schedule:
- No convenience charge will be assessed for USPS letter sized mail posted through us.
- A convenience charge of $2.00 per personal package will be assessed for UPS or FedEx shipments (or USPS package shipments) originating with us.
- In high volume periods, Central Receiving & Support may limit the number of personal packages shipped per day. During Holiday and Student arrival/departure periods, you are encouraged to make arrangements well in advance if you anticipate having a large number of personal packages to ship.
How much can you save by using us?
Here's one example: Shipping a 2-day express envelope normally costs approximately $14. We will ship this for you - including the convenience charge - for typically less than $8 - a saving to you of 40% over standard rates.
To take advantage of this service:
- Bring your item(s) to be shipped to our service counter along with the recipient's mailing address and any special instructions. A department staff member will visually inspect your package(s) to ensure no potentially hazardous items are being shipped. Please note that you will need to properly package items so they are ready for processing.
- A department staff member will enter your information into the shipping station software to generate a shipping label for the package and determine the shipping cost of your package. They will then process your package for the carrier to pick up at the end of the day, and generate a document indicating the shipment and the tracking number.
- You then need to go to Student Accounts to pay for the shipment. The hours of operation of the Student Account Office are Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Upon payment, Student Accounts will generate a receipt for you. You then must return to Central Receiving & Support with your receipt. Without it, we will not be able to ship your package. It is your responsibility to ensure that Central Receiving & Support receives the receipt.
- Central Receiving & Support hours of operation are Mon. thru Fri., 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Please bring your package(s) to our office ready to ship no later than 2 p.m. to ensure same-day processing.
- Prices are subject to change at any time.
- Central Receiving & Support reserves the right to refuse any and all personal shipments.
- For international shipments, please see a Central Receiving & Support staff member for details and special instructions.