Kettering - NCA request for third party comments

Sep 29, 2006

Kettering prepares for Higher Learning Commission site evaluation.

Kettering University will undergo a comprehensive evaluation visit Feb. 26-28, 2007, by a team representing The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Kettering University has been accredited by the Commission since 1962.

The Higher Learning Commission is one of six accrediting agencies in the United States that provide institutional accreditation on a regional basis. Institutional accreditation evaluates an entire institution and accredits it as a whole. Other agencies provide accreditation for specific programs. Accreditation is voluntary. The Commission accredits approximately 1100 institutions of higher education in a 19-state region. The Commission is recognized by the U.S. Dept. of Education.

For the past year and a half, Kettering University has been engaged in a process of self-study, addressing the Commission's requirements and criteria for accreditation. An evaluation team will visit the institution to gather evidence regarding the accuracy of the self-study and to provide suggestions as Kettering looks toward the future. The team will recommend to the Commission a continuing status for the University; following a review process, the Commission itself will take the final action.

The public is invited to submit comments regarding the University to the following:
Public Comment on Kettering University
The Higher Learning Commission
30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400
Chicago, IL 60602

Comments must address substantive matters related to the quality of the institution or its academic programs. Written, signed comments must be received by Jan 20, 2007. The Commission cannot guarantee that comments received after the due date will be considered. Comments should include the name, address, and telephone number of the person providing the comments. Comments will not be treated as confidential.

Note: Individuals with a specific dispute or grievance with an institution should request the separate Policy on Complaints document from the Commission office. The Higher Learning Commission cannot settle disputes between institutions and individuals. Complaints will not be considered third party comment.