- Bid: A formal invitation to join a fraternity or sorority. The specific format of the bid may vary from chapter to chapter.
- Big Brother/Big Sister: An active member assigned to be the personal mentor for a new member.
- Chapter: A membership unit of a national or international fraternity or sorority.
- Charter: Documentation that an individual chapter is recognized and operated according to thenational fraternity/sorority.
- Fraternity: A group of men or women who are bound together by ritual ties, beliefs, and common goals.
- Interfraternity Council (IFC): The representative governing body of all men’s NIC Fraternities at Kettering.
- Initiation: A traditional ritual that brings the pledge/associate/new member into full membership of the fraternity or sorority.
- Intake: The membership recruitment and induction process for the NPHC Organizations on campus.
- Legacy: Someone who’s mother, father, sister or brother is a member of a particular Greek-Letter organization.
- Line/Class: A term sometimes used by various culturally based Greek organizations (NPHC) to refer to the members who joined in the same term.
- National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC): The representative governing body for the nine traditionally African American fraternities and sororities.
- National Panhellenic Conference (NPC): A conference body composed of 26 national women’s fraternities, each of which is autonomous as a social, Greek-Letter society of college women, undergraduates and alumnae.
- North American Interfraternity Conference (NIC): The governing body for the 68 collegiate general fraternities.
- Panhellenic Council: The representative governing body of all NPC affiliated and local sororities at Kettering University.
- Probate: A potential member going through the intake process (NPHC)
- Intent Card (Green Card): A Kettering University specific card which PNMs or Rushees must complete and return to the Greek Life office, before pledging/associating with any fraternity or sorority on campus.
- Recruitment/Rush: The designated time period during the term when fraternities and sororities hold events to recruit new members.
- Rushee or PNM (Potential New Member): A student who has not received a bid or otherwise affiliated with any one particular fraternity or sorority.
- Pledge/Associate/New Member: An uninitiated member of a fraternity or sorority, who has received and accepted a bid, and therefore is affiliated with a particular group, but has not attained full membership status yet.
- Ritual: The secret tradition that ties together the beliefs and standards of a Greek- Letter organization.
- Sorority: A Greek-letter Organization specifically for women (also referred to as a fraternity in some cases).
|A - Alpha|| N - Nu|
|B - Beta|| Ξ - Xi|
|Γ - Gamma|| O - Omicron|
|Δ - Delta|| Π - Pi|
|E - Epsilon|| P - Rho|
|Z - Zeta|| Σ - Sigma|
|H - Eta|| T - Tau|
|Θ - Theta|| Y - Upsilon|
|I - Iota|| Φ - Phi|
|K - Kappa|| X - Chi|
|Λ - Lambda|| Ψ - Psi|
|M - Mu|| Ω - Omega|