Tips for Avoiding Trouble
- Never leave your door unlocked when leaving or sleeping.
- Don’t leave your belongings unattended on campus.
- Report any suspicious activity on campus to Safety at 762-9501.
- Avoid walking or jogging alone at night.
- Walk with friends and use well-lighted and highly-traveled routes whenever possible.
- Do not accept rides from strangers.
- Be aware of your surroundings and the people around you.
- If you feel threatened, go to an open place of business or lighted home. Don’t be embarrassed to make a scene; it’s better than being mugged or assaulted.
Do not let any crime go unreported. To report a crime in progress on campus, contact the Kettering University Campus Safety at (810) 762-9501. In the event of an emergency off-campus, contact the Flint Police at 911. In the case of a serious crime, try to preserve the crime scene so that evidence is not lost or destroyed. Assist investigating officers. Be willing to sign a complaint and testify in court.
On college campuses, the most prevalent type of sexual assault is acquaintance rape. In acquaintance rape, the attacker can be a friend, relative, spouse, lover, neighbor, co-worker, employer, employee, etc. It is not unusual for acquaintance rape to include physical force, with or without a weapon. Generally speaking, the closer the relationship with the attacker, the greater the shock for the victim.
The following tips concern acquaintance rape:
- Be honest; communicate what you want honestly and respectfully.
- Be aware of what is taking place around you.
- Trust your instincts, stand up for yourself, and be willing to make a scene.
- It is never okay to force yourself on an individual.
- Be aware that “force” can be emotional coercion and intimidation as well as physical force.
- Be aware that alcohol and/or drugs may impair your judgment.
- Remember: NO means NO.
Complaints, questions and concerns regarding sexual assault or harassment should be directed to Betsy Homsher, Dean of Students or Cristina Reed, Interim Director of Wellness Center.