Automotive Engineering Design - Is it for Me?
Engineers who are interested in the design, development and manufacturing of automobiles would be particularly interested in this specialty.
Students who decide to enroll in the Automotive specialty gain greater insight into automotive engineering through classes such as Engine Design, Vehicle Performance and Transmission Design, as well as Chassis Design.
Automotive students work closely with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), which Automotive students are required to join. (Apply on-line at www.sae.org/membership.) Students work on vehicle projects throughout their tenure. These projects enable them to acquire hands-on problem solving techniques, as well as program management skills that are essential in the automotive industry.
The basic philosophy behind the Automotive specialty is two fold:
- To provide students with the fundamental knowledge in the field of Mechanical Engineering and provide them with the tools to be a contributing team member.
- To provide the students with the basic and introductory knowledge of Automotive engineering in the areas of Powertrain Engineering, Vehicle Performance, Chassis Design, culminating with the experience of the Vehicle Design Project course.
If you have any questions about the Automotive Specialty, please contact any of the following automotive faculty:
Automotive Engineering Design Specialty Courses
- MECH-510 Anaylsis & Testing of Machines/Mech Ass.
- MECH-515 Failure & Material Consideration in Design
- MECH-516 Intro to FEM with Structural Application
- MECH-526 Fuel Cell Science & Engineering
- MECH-540 Internal Combustion Engines
- MECH-541 Advanced Automotive Power Systems
- MECH-542 Chassis System Design
- MECH-544 Introduction to Automotive Powertrains
- MECH-545 Hybrid Electric Vehicles
- MECH-546 Vehicle Systems Dynamics
- MECH-548 Vehicle Design Project
- MECH-550 Automotive Bioengineering: Occupant Protection & Safety
- MECH-551 Vehicular Crash Dynamics and Accident Reconstruction
- IME-540 Environmentally Conscious Design & Manufacturing
- EE-580 Automotive Electronic Systems