The mission of the Writing Center is to support the Kettering community in all aspects of communication in order to contribute to excellence in teaching, research, and student learning.
The Writing Center provides writing support to students, faculty, and staff. It employs professional writing consultants and is led by Dr. Denise Stodola, an Associate Professor of Communications in the Department of Liberal Studies.
Services for students:
Writing consultations for any part of the writing process
- The role of the writing consultant is to help students become stronger learners by helping them understand how to improve their writing. As such, writing consultants do not “fix” papers for students: they guide the students to improve their own work.
- The focus of the writing session is on giving students tools they can apply to the rest of the paper, not on completing the entire paper. As such, each session will focus on only a few issues or on one short segment of the paper.
- Writing is a process; therefore, students may require more than one visit in order to improve the paper.
How to schedule a writing consultation
- Appointments are encouraged, but walk-ins are welcome. Appointments can be made by calling (810) 762-9775 or by using the “Schedule an Appointment” button below.
- Appointments can be scheduled for 30 minutes or 45 minutes depending on the needs of the student.
- Students may schedule a follow-up appointment after the completion of the current session.
What to bring to a writing consultation
- A copy of the writing assignment
- A draft of the paper or document in progress (brainstorming sessions do not require a draft)
Student schedule (For assistance provided by writing consultant for students)
|Monday and Wednesday||10 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|Thursday||10 a.m. - 2 p.m.|
- Writing consultations for any part of the writing process
- Consultations on the creation and assessment of writing assignments, rubrics, etc.
- Free proofreading and editing
For more information, see the information on editing and consulting services for faculty.