Academic Success Center Testing Services: Make-Up Tests and ADA Accommodations
The mission of Testing Services is to support Kettering students in the pursuit of academic excellence by offering them an opportunity to be tested in a secure and comfortable non-classroom environment.
- Test proctoring is available to students that are unable to complete testing during regularly scheduled times whether due to extenuating circumstances or because of disability accommodations.
- The role of the center is to assist (but not replace) faculty in providing students with testing accommodations. Ultimately, the responsibility for administering testing lies with faculty.
- While the center will make every attempt to accommodate faculty requests for specific testing times, a request may not be accommodated due to limited staff, space, and/or time. When a request cannot be accommodated, the faculty member will be asked to provide alternative testing times.
- Students’ right to education supersedes concerns about test integrity. Students with extended testing time accommodations cannot be forced to take a test at a specific time if that time overlaps with another class. In such cases, the test time will have to be adjusted, which may require faculty to provide an alternative version of the exam to maintain test integrity.
Make-up tests (service for all students)
Students who are unable to take their scheduled tests due to illness or other emergency circumstances may make up the test within ASC.
Testing accommodations (service for students with ADA accommodations)
Students who require accommodations based on a diagnosed and registered disability may take tests within ASC.
Please note: testing accommodations are provided only when the student completes all five of the following steps:
- Receive a documented diagnosis from a medical provider licensed to provide such diagnosis.
(Once every three years)
- Register with the Wellness Center, providing a copy of the diagnosis documentation.
(Before or at the start of every term)
- Wait until the Wellness Center reviews the documents; if the student is approved, the Wellness Center sends a letter to the current professors informing them of the allowable accommodations.
(Early every term)
- Inform the professors in whose classes the student intends to use accommodations.
(Early every term)
- Have the professor make arrangements with ASC for any quizzes or tests.
(Before each test)
Before the test:
- Faculty submits a Test Proctoring Request Form either electronically or on paper.
- Once the form is submitted, student schedules a testing appointment with ASC. Appointments are scheduled strictly based on availability.
- Once the appointment is scheduled, the faculty delivers the test along with the Test Cover Sheet to ASC (both can be submitted electronically or on paper).
During the test:
- Students must show a picture ID before taking the exam.
- Cell phones must be put on vibrate and stored in a book bag for the entire duration of the test.
- Students are only allowed to bring materials clearly identified by the professor on the test cover sheet.
- Students who use the bathroom during the test cannot take anything with them from the testing area.
- Students who come in late will have the remainder of the scheduled time to complete the test.
- In the event of cheating, the exam will be stopped, and all materials will be returned to the professor along with the written incident report.
After the test:
- Faculty member will receive an e-mail from ASC informing him/her that the test has been completed. At that point, the faculty member should pick up the completed test from the Academic Success Center and sign the test cover sheet.