ALERT : Happy Thanksgiving! Kettering University will be closed on Thursday, November 26 and Friday November 27 for the Thanksgiving holiday.

University Counsel

University Counsel

Donald G. RockwellMr. Donald G. Rockwell

University Counsel
Office of the President

(810) 762-9580
3-807 Campus Center



The University Counsel directs the Office of University Counsel (OUC), reports to the President, and provides legal advice to the Board of Trustees, the President, the administration, faculty, and staff in their capacity as agents conducting University business on legal matters involving or affecting the institution. 

The Office of University Counsel (OUC) serves as a liaison between the University and its related and affiliated entities in a variety of legal and policy areas and also advises the University administration on a broad range of initiatives, policy matters, and issues, including those related to:

  • Business Transactions & Contracts
  • Employment
  • Healthcare
  • Immigration
  • Information Technology & Security
  • Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer
  • Real Estate
  • Sponsored Programs & Research Compliance
  • Academic & Student Affairs

The OUC provides managerial services with respect to program implementation as assigned by the President. It also provides administration and educational services for a wide range of audiences, including training programs internally on legal and policy matters and educational programs outside the institution for legal audiences and general audiences on matters affecting Kettering University and higher education in general. The OUC also engages in crisis and opportunity management and preventative counseling, including the identification of high-risk activities and enterprises conducted by the University and the development of strategies for coping with the risks. 

The OUC does not provide legal services to faculty, staff or students in their personal matters, nor does it represent or advise employees with claims against the University. Students with personal legal issues should contact the Office of Student Life for assistance.