Kettering to host Alumni Reunions, May 17-20
Kettering/GMI alumni will be "Reaching New Heights in the 21st Century" when the Alumni Association hosts Alumni Reunion, May 17-20.
Kettering/GMI alumni will be "Reaching New Heights in the 21st Century" when the Alumni Association hosts Alumni Reunion, May 17-20. This year's general chairman is Michael Scarlatelli of Rochester Hills. Scarlatelli will be among members of the Class of 1976, who will be celebrating their 25th class reunion. "I look forward to seeing everyone on that date - not only my own classmates but also those of you whose path I've crossed at work or at Kettering in some way."
Organizing this year's activities is Debra Schnettler '00, director of alumni events. "There's a lot of new ideas this year," Schnettler said. "The hot air balloon rides and the student/alumni homecoming events are brand new for Kettering and should be a lot of fun."
A line-up of Greek & Student Homecoming Events open the week on Monday, May 14, and run through Sunday, May 20. The ladies of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Mu Phi chapter, will host its annual May Week celebration, May 14-18 and celebrate their chapter's 25th anniversary the weekend of May 18-20.
- Monday, May 14: Homecoming Kickoff: cake and ice cream at noon, Campus Center,
- Tuesday, May 15: Homecoming Drag King/Queen contest, sponsored by IFC and Panhellenic Council, noon, Campus Center,
- Wednesday, May 16: Kettering Carnival, noon, Campus Center,
- Thursday, May 17: "Big Event," sponsored by Activities Council, noon, Campus Center,
- Friday, May 18: Raffle and cake, sponsored by Alumni Relations, noon, Campus Center; 5:30 p.m. barbecue with the lacrosse team, behind Thompson Hall; 6:30 p.m. lacrosse game vs. Northwood, behind Thompson Hall and the Recreation Center,
- Saturday, May 19: 1 p.m. alumni vs. students in the "Mystery Catapult" on the "beach," (the lawn between the Recreation Center and Third Avenue); Beta Theta Pi and Beta Sigma Pi welcome their alumni to a picnic at Fenton Estate. Call (810) 762-5989 or (810) 629-9946 for more information,
- Sunday, May 20: Lambda Chi Alpha will host a golf scramble from 8 a.m. to noon, a brunch at noon, an open house from noon to 5 p.m. and a 2 p.m. golf outing and cook-out.
Alumni events begin Thursday, May 17, with an invitation-only dinner for International Alumni, hosted by University President James E.A. John.
Friday, May 18, features a Firebirds Car Show from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.on campus and an all-alumni reception at the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre in Flint. Click here for more information on the classic car show.
Saturday, May 19, opens with 8:30 a.m. registration at the Campus Center. There will be a continental breakfast in the Sunrise Room, Campus Center, starting at 8:30 a.m. until 10:30 a.m.
Hot air balloon rides are available from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Visitors should pick up boarding passes at the registration table in the Campus Center. The hot air balloon will be located near the Connie and Jim John Recreation Center. There is no charge for alumni and guests.
The Firebirds Car Show will be outdoors adjacent to the Campus Center from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Click here for more information on the car show.
There will be informational sessions to share details of campus life. The morning activities are all in Room A, Fourth Floor of the Campus Center, and include:
- 9 a.m., "The New Curriculum," with Professor William Webster,
- 10 a.m., "Toward the 21st Century Student," with Professor Reg Bell,
- 10:30 a.m., "The Kettering Leading Edge," with Professor William Riffe,
- 11:30 a.m., "The Kettering Vision," with University President James E.A. John.
Lunch in the Connie and Jim John Recreation Center at 12:30 p.m. will feature the presentation of recognition awards, Greek Activities, recognition of gift and reunion chairs and the annual meeting of the Kettering/GMI Alumni Association.
"One of the highlights of Saturday's luncheon is presenting the top alumni awards to eight recipients," Schnettler said. "These are the most prestigious awards handed out by the alumni association." The recipients who will honored during Saturday's luncheon are:
- Human Relations Award: Brian P. O'Neill '69, general director of operations, Delphi Delco Electronics,
- Engineering Achievement Award: Kenneth G. Budinski '61, technical associate, Eastman Kodak,
- Management Achievement Award: Barthold H. Hoemann Jr. '61, vice president quality and productivity, Lear Corp. retired,
- Distinguished Alumnus Award: Louis R. Hughes Jr. '71, executive vice president and new business strategies, General Motors Corp.,
- Civic Achievement Award: Edwin H. (Ted) Goodridge Jr. '51, president/treasurer, Duplex Duo Inc. retired,
- Outstanding Achievement Award: Peter J. Stouffer '86, CEO, Code Alarm,
- Alumni Service Award: Jack L. Hartzell '60, associate vice president, Alumni Relations, Kettering University,
- Entrepreneurial Achievement Award: Theresa L. Buhl '81, president, Beacon Inc.
Saturday afternoon's schedule includes:
- 2:15 p.m., "The New Curriculum," with Professor William Webster, in the Alumni Lounge in the Recreation Center,
- 2:15 and 3:15 p.m., "The Kettering Vision," with University President James. E.A. John, in Room A, Fourth Floor of the Campus Center,
- 2:15 and 3 p.m., "Toward the 21st Century Student," with Professor Reg Bell in the Academic Building 2-225,
- 3 and 3:30 p.m., "The Kettering Leading Edge," with Professor William Riffe in the Academic Building in 2-226.
Alumni reunions and receptions begin at 6 p.m. at two sites. Dinner is served at 7 p.m. All alumni, except the Class of 1951, will be at Broadstreet North, G-6378 W. Pierson Road, Flushing (810-659-4350). The Class of 1951, celebrating their 50th class reunion, will be at Warwick Hills Country Club, G-9057 Saginaw Road, Grand Blanc (810-694-4103).
Transportation is available from the Holiday Inn Gateway Centre to both Broadstreet and Warwick Hill Country Club by signing up with the Alumni Office at (810) 762-9883.
Sunday, May 20, concludes Alumni Weekend with a brunch for alumni who graduated from 1929 through 1951. The celebration is at the home of University President James E.A. John in Flint.
More information on Alumni Weekend is available by calling 888-884-7741, ext. 9883, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information is available on the Kettering University web site at: http://www2.kettering.edu/Alumni/Reunion.htm.