Einstein Bros. Bagels opens Friday, March 1
The newest food option in the neighborhood is Einstein Bros. Bagels, offering a new gathering place on University Corner.
Update: Preparations continue for the opening of the new Einstein Bros. Bagels.
Thursday, Feb. 28 - Einstein’s will be Beta Testing its bagels at an invitation-only event while it gets ready to open its doors.
Friday, March 1 – New food and beverage options begin in the neighborhood when Einstein’s opens for business from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Kettering University is proud to announce the grand opening of University Corner, the new home of Einstein Bros. Bagels and the Flint Police Service Center, on the corner of University and Chevrolet avenues.
- The Flint Police Service Center will be coming online at University Corner during the next few weeks, providing additional safety and security for the campus and the neighborhood.
- This newest addition to campus is the vision of President Robert McMahan. The structure is provided by the generosity of the C.S. Mott Foundation and its ongoing interest in creating a stronger Flint.
- Einstein Bros. Bagels will be open to the public, seven days a week, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- WiFi is ready and waiting in the new facility.
- Remember – Kettering’s Meal Plan, BJ Bucks, Kettering Cash, cash and credit cards are all accepted.
Grand Opening on March 22: Everyone in the Kettering Community is invited to the Grand Opening of Einstein Bros. Bagels on Friday, March 22. Special Events Director Diane Alderson said a tent will be set up on Chevrolet Avenue for the Grand Opening. “The ribbon-cutting ceremony begins at noon and it will be followed by a light lunch with samples of Einstein’s food. I hope everyone can attend. It’s a great chance to see what Einstein’s has to offer, and it will be a good opportunity for the community to gather and celebrate this campus addition.”
Traffic Alert: North Chevrolet Avenue will be closed for the festivities from University Avenue to Bluff Street, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., on March 22. Traffic will be re-routed around campus for the day.
Kettering’s Meal Plan, BJ Bucks and Kettering Cash will be welcome when Einstein Bros. Bagels, the newest food option in the neighborhood, opens at Kettering University on Friday, March 1. Located on the corner of University and Chevrolet avenues, Einstein’s is open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., seven days a week.
Friday is a “soft opening” for the new business, allowing Einstein’s 22 new employees to ease into the restaurant business. The formal grand opening will be March 22.
Amber Coe, a dual major in Business and Industrial Engineering from Libertyville, Iowa, had a direct response to Einstein's arrival on campus. "Delicious," she said. "I think it's going to be great, especially when walking from the campus apartments or the local fraternity houses, Delta Chi and SAE. It'll be right there - right next door. It'll be easy for anyone walking on Chevrolet Avenue, too.
"I think it's going to keep more students on campus," Coe continued. "You'll have lots of different options so you don't feel like you're eating the same salad everyday. I can't wait for it to open," she added.
Einstein Bros. Bagels is the nation’s largest operator of bagel bakeries. Read more on Einstein’s.
The new retail manager is Anna Ward, whose experience in the restaurant business includes cooking for Florida’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tampa Bay Rays, and for golf great Tiger Woods. Her retail supervisor is Linda Yohannan.
Einstein’s newest location is totally renovated from the former convenience store that stood on the Flint corner for decades. “This facility has a fresh and updated look – a night and day difference from before,” said Joe Asperger, director of Physical Plant. “The dining area features 56 seats, which is twice as large as most Einstein bagel shops. We want this to be a meeting place for the whole neighborhood,” Asperger added.
- Einstein’s hours, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., will coordinate with other food options at Kettering. The Sunrise and Sunset cafeterias will offer food through the dinner hour. Starting in May, the newly renovated BJ’s Lounge and Student Commuter Lounge will have food options after dinner and into the evening. Happy eating!
- Einstein’s popular Smart Choice Menu and Vegetarian selections are healthy alternatives.
- The store is open to the public. A marketing campaign is underway to attract neighbors and employees at Hurley Medical Center, McLaren and the Flint Children’s Museum, as well as visitors from downtown.
- The Einstein’s crew received special training to learn how to create the perfect cup of coffee using the state-of-the art equipment.
- Kettering and the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, are among the few colleges in Michigan with an Einstein’s on campus.
Contact: Patricia Mroczek