Alumni Awards Dinner and Brunch
Following the invocation by Barry Wood '78, Joe Katona '78, alumni reunion general chair, welcomed everyone and began the program by recognizing members of the class of 1953, all of whom joined the Golden Circle of Alums.
Warwick Hills Country Club of Grand Blanc, Mich., served as a perfect environment for Alumni Reunion Weekend dinner Saturday, May 31. More than 150 people enjoyed a cocktail hour, entertainment, time to reconnect, and an elegant dinner. Following the invocation by Barry Wood '78, Joe Katona '78, alumni reunion general chair, welcomed everyone and began the program by recognizing members of the class of 1953, all of whom joined the Golden Circle of Alums. Each alum received a special Golden Circle lapel pin in a card signed personally by Dr. John.
Michael Jaffke '90, vice president of the alumni committee, presented alumni association awards to the following individuals:
- Distinguished Alumnus Award: Karl J. Krapek '76, retired president and COO of United Technologies of Avon. Conn.;
- Engineering Achievement Award: Rodney O'Neal '76, president of the Dynamics, Propulsion and Thermal Sector at Delphi Corp. of Troy, Mich.;
- Civic Achievement Award: David H. Boerger '72 of Orchard Lake, Mich., retired vice president of Visteon;
- Outstanding Achievement Award: Nelson R. Sharp '66 of Littleton, Colo., retired president and CEO of National Technology Transfer;
- Entrepreneurial Achievement Award: Warner G. "Buck" Martin '55 of Longboat Key, Fla., chairman of the board for Nitram Energy Inc.
- Management Achievement Award: Harold B. Wells '53 of Whiteville, N.C., retired presidents of Wells Chrysler Dodge Jeep;
- Alumni Service Award: Armen Oumedian '49 of Grand Rapids, Mich., retired from GM, Rapistan and Pinnacle Automation;
- Human Relations Award: Richard B. Light '57, president of EA Services of Lake Orion, Mich.;
- Special Award: Professor Duane McKeachie of Flint, Mich.; and
- Young Alumni Award: Ann Marie Weitzel-Robison '99, commodity program manager at Sun Microsystems Inc. of Santa Clara, Calif.
In addition to these award presentations, A.J. Deeds '82, president of the Kettering/GMI Alumni Association, presented Joe Katona with a recognition award for Katona's work with this year's weekend. Dr. John also gave closing remarks at theconclusion of dinner, reminding alumni of how important it is to support their alma mater and to spread the word about Kettering to prospective students.
On Sunday, June 1, Dr. John welcomed members of the 1953 class and earlier, as well as their guests to his home for a brunch to honor these alums as members of the Golden Circle. More than 150 guests attended the event.
To learn more about Alumni Reunion Weekend 2004, call the Office of Alumni Affairs at (888) 884-7741, ext. 9746, or visit the Kettering website at www.kettering.edu/alumni/.
Written by Gary Erwin