Organized in cooperation of Kettering University, Michigan State University, and Kinawa - Chippewa Middle Schools.
This Mathematics Circle is sponsored by the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute and by the National Security Agency.
Mid-Michigan Mathematical Olympiad
A competition in solving mathematics problems for students in Grades 5-12.
Michigan State University Campus
All are welcome!
Kinawa - Chippewa Mathematics Circle meetings:
Mondays, 6:00 - 7:15
First meeting: September 10, 2012
Place: Mathematics classroom of Mrs. Murembya, Kinawa Middle School
Useful Links (try different browsers if your first choice does not work)
- National Association of Mathematics Circles
- NASA Educational Outreach
- LOGO Interpreter
- CryptoClub Treasure Hunt
- Sieve of Eratosthenes
- Factorization Program
- Manhattan Mathematical Olympiad
- Links for Math Contest Problems
- Thinking BIG - How big is the Universe? (September 10, 2012)
- Thinking BIG - Part 2! Print handout from September 10! (September 17, 2012)
Also print this worksheet!
- Thinking BIG - Part 3 !!! Print handout from September 10 and Worksheet from September 17!!! (September 24, 2012)
- Symmetries with Peter Magyar, handout will be distributed in class (October 1)
- Symmetries continued with Peter Magyar, handout will be distributed in class (October 8)
- Symmetries of the cube (October 15)
- I Create Problems! (and solve them too) (October 22) Please print your handout!
- Secrets of American History (October 29) - More: The Great American History Puzzle
- Vigenere Cipher (November 5)
- Axioms Of Plane Geometry Made Plain – Session 1 (November 12)
- Axioms Of Plane Geometry Made Plain – Session 2 (November 19)
- Axioms Of Plane Geometry Made Plain – Session 3 (November 26)
- Breaking Vigenere Cipher with Math (December 3)
- Show Your Ultimate Mastery in Breaking Vigenere Cipher (December 10)
- I Create Problems (and solve them too) - Session 2 (December 17) Please print your handout!!!
- Modular Arithmetic Ciphers (January 14)
- No Meeting - Celebrate Martin Luther King Day (January 21)
- Modular Arithmetic - the 11-hour clock (January 28) - Meeting is cancelled (School is closed)
- Modular Arithmetic - the 11-hour clock (February 4)
- Encrypting messages with modular arithmetic (February 11)
- President's Day - No school (February 18)
- Tiling - is all around us! (February 25) - please print the hand-out.
- Live of Die - The Game of Life (March 4)
- The Amazing Pi Race - Celebrating 3/14 - the Pi Day (March 11) Don't be late!
- The Amazing Pi Race - Solutions (March 18)
- Become an Olympian - Session 1 (March 25)
- Become an Olympian - Session 2 (April 8)
- Become an Olympian - Session 3 (April 15)
- Become an Olympian - Session 4 (March 22)
- Mid-Michigan Mathematical Olympiad - Sunday - April 28!
- Mid-Michigan Math Olympiad Solutions (April 29)
- Crypto Club Games in the Computer Lab (May 6)
- Crypto Club Games in the Computer Lab (May 13)
- Golden Ratio (May 20)
- Year-End Potluck Party (June 3 - 6:00 to 6:30) - Books for participants. Bring a desert to share. Parents - please stay.
- Become an Olympian - solving Manhattan Olympiad Problems (Date TBA) Please print your handout!!!
Download worksheets from previous sessions of the Kinawa - Chippewa Mathematics Circle.