Kettering University returns unearned funds received from Federal student assistance programs to the proper program accounts or lenders in accordance with Federal Title IV student assistance regulations, as amended, under 34 CFR, section 668.22(d) of the Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act of 1965.
A student receiving assistance from Federal Title IV programs is required to complete a minimum number of hours for which assistance was received.
- If the student completely withdraws from all classes before completing 60% of the semester, a pro-rated portion of the federal aid received must be returned to the federal aid programs equal to the percentage of the semester remaining.
- If the student remains enrolled and attends class beyond the 60% mark of the semester in which aid is received, all federal aid is considered earned and not subject to this policy.
- If the student does not officially withdraw from classes, and stops attending all classes, a pro-rated portion of the federal aid received, based on the documented last date of attendance, must be returned to the federal aid programs. If Kettering is unable to document the last date of attendance, one-half of all federal aid received during the semester must be returned to the federal aid programs.
Return of Federal Title IV funds will be distributed according to statutory regulations. Worksheets/Formulas provided by the U.S. Department of Education will be used to determine the amounts and order of return. If a student's share of the return amount exists, the student will be notified and allowed 45 days from the date of determination to return the funds to the Business Office of the University for deposit into the federal programs accounts. If the student does not return the amount owed within the 45-day period, the amount of overpayment will be reported to the U.S. Department of Education (DOE) via the National Student Loan Database (NSLDS) and the student will be referred to the DOE for resolution of the debt. Unearned aid will be refunded to the appropriate program(s), if necessary based on these regulations.
Refund distribution order
1. Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan
2. Federal Subsidized Direct Loan
3. Federal PLUS Loan
4. Federal Pell Grant
5. Federal SEOG Grant
6. Other Title IV aid
7. Other federal, state, private or institutional aid