Applying for federal student aid is quicker and easier than ever. You can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Even if you think you’re not likely to qualify for need-based aid, it’s still a good idea to apply.

Many scholarships awarded by the university require applicants to apply for need-based aid. Applying is free and many students are pleasantly surprised when they discover the aid they are eligible to receive.

Follow these easy steps to simplify the process of applying for federal student aid.

First gather the documents needed to apply.

  • Your Social Security card. It is important that you enter your Social Security Number correctly!
  • Your drivers’ license (if any)
  • Your W-2 forms and other records of money earned
  • Your (and your spouse’s, if you are married) Federal Income Tax Return
  • Your Parents’ Federal Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
  • Your Parents’ W-2 forms
  • Your untaxed income records
  • Your current bank statements
  • Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records

To organize your information, you can print and complete a FAFSA on the Web Worksheet before you begin entering your information online. However, you are not required to do so. FAFSA on the Web will guide you through the questions that you must answer, and you can save your application and return to it later if you don’t have the information you need to answer any of the questions.

Then apply online at!

The FAFSA is used to apply for federal financial aid (grants, work-study, and loans). The process is free, and you should never pay to apply for federal financial aid. You'll need a FSA ID to “sign” your online FAFSA, make corrections to the application, and more. You, and your parent if you're a dependent student, can apply for an FSA ID at any time. If you don't have one by the time you fill out your FAFSA, you will be prompted to apply for one.

The FSA ID replaces the Federal Student Aid PIN. If you already have a PIN, you can link your information to your new FSA ID by entering your PIN while registering for your FSA ID. (This will save you time when registering for your FSA ID.) However, a PIN is not required to create an FSA ID.

After you Submit the FAFSA – The results of your FAFSA are sent electronically to the schools you listed on your application and you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR).

The Student Aid Report (SAR) – Your SAR summarizes all the information you provided on your FAFSA. It must be correct before you can receive federal aid. 

How and when you will receive your SAR - If you provided a valid e-mail address, you’ll get your SAR e-mail in 3 to 5 days. The email contains a secure link to your SAR online. If you don’t provide a valid e-mail address, it takes about 7 to 10 days before you’ll receive your SAR by postal mail.

What to do with your SAR – When you get your SAR, review it for accuracy. If you need to make corrections to your SAR, you can make them online using your PIN at

What information Kettering University may request from you and your parents – Sometimes students and parents are surprised or dismayed when they are asked to furnish personal financial information to obtain financial aid. Please understand that most or all of the data is sought from you to meet requirements of the federal government and to insure that the financial aid programs are administered fairly for all students. You may be asked to provide federal tax forms, W2 forms, and other documents used to complete the FAFSA for yourself and/or your parents.

To prevent delays in processing your financial aid package, promptly provide any documentation that the financial aid office may request.

Financial Aid Award Letter – Once your FAFSA has been reviewed and your financial need/financial aid eligibility has been determined; you will receive an award letter listing the type(s) and amount(s) of aid you qualify for. If there are any changes made to your financial aid package at any time — i.e., a new scholarship is added, or a loan is cancelled — a new award letter will be sent to you.