Exatec Division of Sabic Innovative Plastics, Wixom, MI, 2006 – 2011
After graduating in 2006, Dr. Gilliam took a position at Exatec, a division of Sabic Innovative Plastics, as the Plasma Technology Leader, supervising global technology programs and directing international R&D teams to develop next-generation coated polymer products. As the Plasma Technology Leader, Dr. Gilliam gained experience in translating processes to industrial scale, process characterization and control, statistical design of experiments and data analysis, quantifying relationships between process parameters and product outcomes, root cause analysis, linking customer requirements to manufacturing conditions, product validation, leading cross-functional teams, and technology road-mapping.
Surface treatments, coatings, plasma process technology, plasma chemical vapor deposition, particle treatment technologies, atmospheric plasma, organic and organosilicon coatings, plastics applications, polymer surface modification
Patents and Patent Applications
2. Gilliam, M., Farhat, S., Garner, G., and Magyar, M. Method and Apparatus for Surface Chemical Functionalization of Powders and Nanoparticles. U.S. Patent Application No. PCT/US14/27814, Unpublished. Filing date 14 March 2014.
3. Gilliam, M., Farhat, S., and Zand, A. Wear Resistant and Biocompatible Coatings for Medical Devices and Method of Fabrication. U.S. Patent Application No. PCT/US14/22505, Unpublished. Filing date 10 March 2014.
2. Gilliam, M., Farhat, S., Magyar, M., Stubbs, B. Atomspheric Plasma Surface Modification of PMMA and PP Micro-Particles. Plasma Processes and Polymers, under review.
3. Gilliam, M. Polymer Surface Treatment and Coating Technologies. In Handbook of Manufacturing Engineering and Technology; Nee, A., Ed.; Springer: New York, 2013.
4. Gilliam, M., Ritts, A., Yu, Q. The Mesh Disturbance Effects in LTCAT for Surface Modification of LDPE. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2010, 118, 805-817.
5. Gilliam, M. Plasma Polymerization of Fluorocarbons and Plasma Surface Modification of Polymers; Lambert Academic Publishing: Germany, 2009.
6. Gilliam, M., Yu, Q., Yasuda, H. Plasma Polymerization Behavior of Fluorocarbon Monomers in Low-Pressure AF and RF Discharges. Plasma Processes and Polymers, 2007, 4, 165-172.
7. Gilliam, M., Yu, Q. Surface Modification of a Group of Polymers Using a Low Temperature Cascade Arc Torch. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2007, 105, 360-372.
8. Gilliam, M., Yu, Q. Low-Temperature Plasma Processes for Polymeric Surface Modification. in Encyclopedia of Chemical Processing; Lee, S., Ed.; Taylor & Francis: United Kingdom, 2007.
9. Gilliam, M., Yu, Q. A Critical Evaluation of Low Temperature Plasma Processes Applied to Polymers. In Recent Research and Developments in Applied Polymer Science, Pandalai, S.G., Ed.; Research Signpost: Kerala, India, 2006; Vol. 3; p. 13.
10. Gilliam, M., Yu, Q. Surface Characterization of Low-Temperature Cascade Arc Plasma–Treated Low-Density Polyethylene Using Contact Angle Measurements. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2006, 99, 2528-2541.
Conference Presenations and Proceedings
2. Farhat, S., Gilliam, M., Zand, A., Rabago-Smith, M. Polymer Coatings for Biomedical Applications Using Low Temperature, Atmospheric Pressure Plasma. AIChE Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA. November 3-8, 2013.
3.Farhat, S., Gilliam, M., Zand, A., Rabago-Smith, M. Bio-compatible Polymer Coatings Using Low Temperature, Atmospheric Pressure Plasma. Contact and Surface 2013:11th International Conference on Surface Effects and Contact Mechanics. Siena, Italy. June 5-7, 2013.
4. Gilliam, M., Farhat, S., Zand, A., Stubbs, B., Magyar, M., Garner, G. Surface Treatment of Polymer Particles Using Atmospheric Plasma. Society of Vacuum Coaters Annual Conference. Providence, RI. April 20-25, 2013.
5. Farhat, S., Gilliam, M., Zand, A., Rabago-Smith, M. Biocompatible Coatings Using Low Temperature, Atmospheric Pressure Plasma. Society of Vacuum Coaters Annual Conference. Providence, RI. April 20-25, 2013.
6. Stubbs, B., Garner, G., Magyar, M., Gilliam, M., Farhat, S. Atmospheric Plasma Treatment For Surface Modification Of Polymer Powder. Michigan Academy of Arts and Sciences Conference. Holland, MI. March 22, 2013.
7. Gilliam, M., Gasworth, S. Characterization of the Parameter Space in Expanding Thermal Plasma Systems with Organosiloxane and Oxygen Reagents. Society of Vacuum Coaters Annual Conference. Chicago, IL. 2008.
8. Yu, Q.S., Huang, C., Chan, Y., Gilliam, M., Yasuda, H.K. Glow Characterization in Plasma Deposition Systems. Proceedings of 17th International Symposium on Plasma Chemistry. Toronto, Canada, 2005.
9. Gilliam, M., Yu, Q. Modification of Polymeric Surfaces Using Low Temperature Cascade Arc Torch. American Chemical Society Regional Conference. Columbia, MO, 2003.