Dr. Jeff Hargrove, associate professor of Mechanical Engineering
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan State University, with expertise in bioengineering, medical research and mechatronics.
Hargrove, who is also a graduate of Kettering/GMI, has taught at the institution for 20 years and believes that Kettering students tend to be more equipped and capable to handle real world matters coming right out of school than students from other universities. Additionally, he believes Kettering students have a much better appreciation of the role of business and industry than typical college students.
Three words he uses to describe Kettering students are mature, competent and driven. One of the best parts of teaching at Kettering for Hargrove is the opportunity to integrate real life issues into academic issues as part of a classroom environment. He chose to teach at Kettering because he is a firm believer in the school's cooperative education model.
Hot tip for prospective students: "Realize that your work ethic is the greatest asset you have in terms of achieving your goals and succeeding here as well as anywhere you go in life. Embrace the idea that your commitment to your education and your co-op activities must be your highest priorities, and work hard toward both. That will pay off big in your future."
Hidden talents and outside interests: When he's not in the classroom or laboratory, Hargrove enjoys studying the history of the American Civil War and collecting Civil War memorabilia.
Chronic centralized pain
Brain function and neural networks in pain processing
- Hargrove JB, Bennett RM, Clauw DJ, Mashour GA, Briggs, LR. “Symptom Improvement in Fibromyalgia Patients Is Related to Reduced Network Connectivity As Measured by EEG Coherence”, Arthritis Rheum 2012 Oct;64(10 Suppl):348-9.
- Hargrove JB, Bennett RM, Clauw DJ. “Long-Term Outcomes in Fibromyalgia Patients Treated with Cortical Electrostimulation”, Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012 Oct;93(10):1868-71.
- Hargrove JB, Bennett RM, Clauw DJ. “Long-Term Outcomes in Fibromyalgia Patients Treated with Cortical Electrostimulation”, Arthritis Rheum 2011;63(10 Suppl):286-7.
- Hargrove JB, Bennett RM, Simons DG, Smith SJ, Nagpal S, Deering DE. “A Randomized Placebo Controlled Study of Noninvasive Cortical Electrostimulation in the Treatment of Fibromyalgia Patients”, Pain Med. 2012 Jan;13(1):115-24.
- Hargrove JB, Bennett RM, Simons DG, Smith SJ, Nagpal S, Deering DE. “Non-invasive Cortical Electrostimulation in the Treatment of Fibromyalgia”, Arthritis Rheum 2010;62(10 Suppl):269-70.
- Hargrove JB, Bennett RM, Simons DG, Smith SJ, Nagpal S, Deering DE. “Quantitative Electroencephalographic Abnormalities in Fibromyalgia Patients”, Clin EEG Neurosci. 2010 Jul;41(3):132-9.
- Hargrove JB, Zemper ED, Jannausch, ML. “Respiratory Measurement Utilizing a Novel Laser Displacement Technique: Normal Tidal Breathing”, Biomedical Instrumentation & Technology 43(4) 327-331, July 2009.
- Hargrove JB, Lloyd JR, Radcliffe CJ. “Radiative Heat Transfer Properties of Electro-Controllable Fluids”, ASME Journal of Heat Transfer 125(6) 1058-1064, December 2003.