Transfer Credits

Kettering University welcomes many new transfer undergraduate students each year. Following are the guidelines and policies related to the transfer of courses and credits to Kettering University.

Courses That Will Transfer to Kettering University

  • Accredited Coursework

Only those credits earned at institutions accredited by one of the regional accrediting agencies will be considered for transfer. Regional accreditation does not automatically result in transferability of coursework. The various colleges and/or departments of the University determine individual course equivalency and transferability. When the coursework has been completed at an institution outside of the United States, the institution must be officially recognized by the Ministry of Education of that country as a degree-granting institution.

  • Tests for Credit

Kettering University will evaluate Advanced Placement scores for transfer credit. Please note: Kettering University does not accept CLEP credit. View a chart which details all the credits offered for AP & IBO courses.

  • Military Credit

Only credit earned at institutions accredited by one of the regional accrediting agencies will be considered for transfer.

  • College Courses taken prior to high school graduation (Dual Enrollment)

Students may be eligible to transfer courses to Kettering University taken during high school at accredited colleges and universities. To be evaluated for transfer to Kettering University, these courses must appear on a college transcript and be taught by a college faculty member. See the online Course Equivalency System. Students must submit an official transcript from the institution where the coursework was taken. Please note: credit will not be given for credit earned for both an A.P. exam and a college course that cover the same material.

  • Grade Requirements

All courses in which a 2.0 GPA or higher were earned will be evaluated for transfer credit. Also, please note that for admissions purposes, students must maintain a "B" average in math, science, and English courses.

Courses That Will Not Transfer to Kettering University

  • Coursework completed at institutions not accredited by a regional accreditation agency
  • Remedial/Developmental Classes
  • Technical/Trade Classes (i.e. Fire Science, Dental Hygiene, Cosmetology, etc.)
  • Life Experience
  • Courses in areas of study not offered at Kettering University
  • Non-Traditional coursework completed at two year institutions, including: Independent Study, Directed Study, Seminars, Workshops, or Internships
  • CLEP

Credit Accepted from Other Institutions

Kettering University accepts toward graduation a maximum of 72 credits completed prior to admission from accredited institutions. Once enrolled as a student at Kettering, a maximum of eight additional credit hours may be transferred. Instructions for taking transfer courses after admission are found under Course Equivalency System.

Second Bachelor's Degree

Students seeking a second Bachelor's Degree from Kettering University must provide the Office of Admissions with transcripts from every institution previously attended, including a degree-granting transcript.      

A student with a baccalaureate degree from another college must satisfy the minimum residency requirement as a full-time student in order to receive a baccalaureate degree from Kettering University. All course requirements of the degree program must be satisfied and the student must complete at least five work terms which include the two thesis terms. The student is required to complete a Kettering University senior thesis. The student's degree program must be approved by the head of the degree granting department.