Writing consultations are conducted by professional tutors who work together with the student to improve the quality of the student’s writing.
- The role of the writing consultant is to help students become stronger learners by helping them understand how to improve their writing. As such, writing consultants do not “fix” papers for students: they guide the students to improve their own work.
- The focus of the writing session is on giving students tools they can apply to the rest of the paper, not on completing the entire paper. As such, each session will focus on only a few issues or on one short segment of the paper.
- Writing is a process; therefore, students may require more than one visit in order to improve the paper.
How to schedule a writing consultation
- Appointments are encouraged, but walk-ins are welcome. Appointments can be made by calling (810) 762-9775.
- Appointments can be scheduled for 30 minutes or 45 minutes depending on the needs of the student.
- Students may schedule a follow-up appointment after the completion of the current session.
What to bring to a writing consultation
- A copy of the writing assignment
- A draft of the paper or document in progress (brainstorming sessions do not require a draft)